Tuesday, October 14, 2008

We confess that we have forgotten God


On April 30, 1863, with a nation in the midst of the tragic Civil War, President Lincoln at the request of the Senate issued a proclamation calling this nation to prayer. Excerpts from that proclamation are as follows:

…it is the duty of nations as well as of men to own their dependence upon the overruling power of God; to confess their sins…and to recognize the sublime truth, announced in the Holy Scriptures and proven by all history that those nations only are blessed whose God is the Lord…

…We have been the recipients of the choicest bounties of Heaven. We have been preserved, these many, years, in peace and prosperity. We have grown in numbers, wealth, and power as no other nation has ever grown, but we have forgotten God.

…We have forgotten the gracious hand which preserved us in peace, and multiplied and enriched and strengthened us, and we have vainly imagined in the deceitfulness of our own hearts, that all these blessings were produced by some superior wisdom and virtue of our own. Intoxicated with unbroken success, we have become too self-sufficient to feel the necessity of redeeming and preserving grace, too proud to pray to the God who made us;

It behooves us then, to humble ourselves before the offended Power, to confess our national sins, and to pray for clemency and forgiveness.

Presidential prayers


Thank you for a nation who has always had a remnant that acknowledged You as God. Lord I know that in II Chronicles 7:14 You gave your people a promise.

"If my people, which are called by my name shall humble themselves and pray and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land."

Lord, open your eyes unto us and let your ears be attentive unto our prayer on this day.

Lord, I confess that our nation has over and over again have denied you in the past 40 years. Oh Lord, forgive us of our sins of selfishness, hate, and going our own way. But I like Abraham of old ask if there are 5 righteous in our land will you spare us? Lord, I know that over the years many have denied you. They have tried to wipe you out of our schools, thoughts, and hearts, but my Father, I also know that there has always been a remnant in this land, who have faithfully believed in you. Lord, because of who you are, I pray that you will forgive us this day and heal our land.
I pray through the blood of Jesus Christ who died for me.
Amen

No comments: